The holiday season is here; as families participate in festivities, accidents may occur, leading to the risk of a holiday-related disaster in your home. These incidents may cause you to file a home insurance claim for the damages. Here are the most prevalent types of home insurance claims during the holiday season:
It is estimated that roughly 47,000 fires occur during the holiday season; these fires take more than 500 lives each year. Cooking-related fires are among the most common types of claims filed around the holidays. In 2018, U.S. fire departments responded to approximately 1,630 home cooking fires on Thanksgiving. Here are some safety cooking tips to ensure your home is a fire-free zone.
- Remain attentive and avoid distractions while cooking in the kitchen by limiting the number of people and monitoring the food. Set timers to prevent burn and grease fires and keep flammable items away from the stove.
- Ensure that your smoke detectors are installed and working correctly; this should be done frequently throughout the year, not just before the holiday season..
- Consider wearing short sleeves or tight clothing if you are cooking for the holidays. Loose or long-fitting clothing can be a fire hazard.
Whether you are out Christmas caroling, traveling to holiday parties, or shopping for gifts, the last thing you want to return home to is a break-in.
Take all necessary precautions this season to protect your property:
- Ensure that all doors and windows are securely locked.
- Install security cameras and bright lights surrounding your property.
- Protect your valuables by locking them away.
- If you are traveling for the holidays, consider refraining from posting your absence on social media. An empty house can entice burglars to break into your home.
The good news is most of these incidents are covered by your home insurance policy. If you face filing a home insurance claim, the next step you should consider is seeking legal representation to help you with the process and settle your claim as efficiently as possible.
Contact Fort Lauderdale Property Damage Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been affected by property damage during the holidays and needs legal assistance with a property damage claim, contact Schirmer Law at 754-260-5410 for a free consultation.